Translate

Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Hand painted Sea Side Mermaid Baby Jacket by Rosanna Hope for Babybonbons


It is a sunny, toasty day here in Maimi, a perfect day to to go to the ocean  and start my summer reading.  I am reading A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick, a New York Times best seller and so intriquing. One of those  books you don`t want to put down, good beach reading.  

Although I am now concentrating on designing printed fabric, after returning from the beach one day  last year  , I was inspired to sit down and  hand paint this little Sea Side mermaid  and shell  toddler jacket. It is about a 12  18 month size.

I used a rayon charmeuse fabric to paint on  and Jacquard dye Na flow for the paints with  a  clear resist. The paints flow so beautifully on the charmeuse.   The hand on this jacket is so luxurious.  It  would  be precious over a bathing suit at the sea side resort or a little sundress, it is pretty fancy and one of a kind.  I adore the look of silk painting and in my fabric design now I  still try to achieve the same  free flowing watercolor feel.

I began by tracing my pattern on my fabric and painting  on the  front and back pattern pieces that  I needed to cut and sew the jacket. This allowed me to place my designs in exact position.  After painting the background of the front of the jacket, I cut and  appliqued the fish  with my viking embroidery machine.  I have a hugh stash of vintage and new fabrics and lined the jacket with a pretty pink eyelet fabric and little polka dot cuffs.

This little jacket is now in my Babybonbons Etsy shop.

hmmmm,  after writing this, I decided to try to replicate  this design  for one of my personalized blankets. I guess I may not get out to the beach today after all. But will  put my design up soon for all to see....
Have a sweet weekend,
Enjoy,
Rosanna Hope